Embedded Software Engineer I
BlackBox Biometrics, Inc. – Rochester, New York Area
Are you a software engineer who is interested in making a significant impact in the world of wearable technology? If so, we’d like to hear from you.
BlackBox Biometrics, Inc (B3) is a mission-driven technology company focused on preserving health, transforming behavior, and optimizing performance. We develop systems that monitor, record and analyze blast and impact events to protect warfighters, first responders, and athletes.
Sound exciting? There’s more! B3 is an innovative, young company with a relatively flat organizational structure. We’re passionate about building a company culture that encourages collaboration and out-of-the-box thinking. You’ll enjoy a casual, flexible work environment where you’ll work alongside bright team members who genuinely care about what they’re creating.
We are looking for a recently graduated or early career-stage engineer with a software engineering background who will support design and development of B3’s state-of-the-art wearable systems. This position provides an opportunity to work with a small, multidisciplinary technical team across a variety of engineering functions. You will be involved in existing development efforts as well concept development of future programs or products. B3 is looking for a hands-on team player with a passion for technology, attention to detail, ability to successfully work in collaborative teams, and desire for continuous learning.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Design and implement embedded code using C++ for low power MCUs and ARM-based microprocessors
- Design and integrate Bluetooth LE wireless solutions into existing and new products for integration with mobile devices
- Design and implement proprietary communication protocols over I2C, SPI, UART, USB, and BLE
- Support system design requirements and architecture for sensor systems
- Proprietary design of test and calibration systems in a production environment test and troubleshoot the system software
- Author documentation including system design specifications, product requirements and customer reports
- Work with our local and international customers to resolve in-field issues and scope out new development.
- Continually revamp qualification processes, documentation, and problem solving to strengthen product reliability
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the Quality Management System
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related Field
- Strong familiarity with C/C++
- Understanding of software test methodologies and general design for testability
- Familiarity with the following technologies
- Firmware Development
- Git or other software version control
- Signal Processing
- Peripheral sensors (Accelerometers, Flash Memory, Analog sensors, Analog circuitry)
- Low level communication protocols (SPI, I2C, UART)
- Low power embedded design
- Place a high value on quality and attention to detail
- Excellent communications skills: Technical writing/presentation, verbal, interpersonal
- Strong problem solving and ability in work in multi-functional teams
- Verification as a U.S Citizen or Permanent Resident
Additional Beneficial Qualifications & Experience
- Advanced degree in a technical field
- Experience in architecture, design & development of RTOS using s C++ and Multi-threaded programming techniques
- Familiarity with Bluetooth and Bluetooth LE
- Familiarity with low power MCUs and ARM-based microprocessors
- Familiarity with USB for embedded design including descriptors and enumeration
- Familiarity with Python and/or PyQT
B3 offers competitive compensation and benefits packages. This is a salaried position commensurate with experience. Relocation is available for well-qualified candidates.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Experience: 0-3 years
Work Location: Rochester NY
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org